I posted this dress on my Instagram thread earlier this week and decided to share a quick DIY tutorial on how to create your own strapless bodycon dress in minutes. I love these dresses for the figure flattering fit; it can be worn with a jacket and pumps during the day and alone with a strappy heel for a night out.
The pattern used for this dress was basically created from an existing bodycon dress that was too big:
- Sewing Machine
- Measuring Tape
- Stretch Knit/Spandex Fabric
- An existing body-con dress (as the base for your correct measurements and to cut your pattern)
- ½” Non roll Elastic Band (Optional)
- Iron out your fabric so that it is crease free.
- It is important to fold your fabric in four pieces. The folded edge facing towards you.
- Place your existing body-con dress that is evenly folded in half down on the folded edge of your fabric.
- Use your body-con or fitted dress as a guide for cutting out your tube pattern. Cut your desired length and cut straight across the cleavage area.
- Pin the cut edges of your fabric inside out.
- Sew along side the pinned area.
- Hem to your desired length.
- Add elastic to the top of your dress for extra security. (Optional)
- All done honey!
Sewing skill level: Beginner/Easy
Fabric used: ITY knit stretch jersey in white from fabric wholesale direct; good for dresses, skirts, pants and shirts.