Are you looking for a quick and easy gift to make for someone that doesn’t break the bank? Today’s gift idea tutorial will show you how to create your own tissue paper covered glass jar that can be filled with candy, rocks, candles, etc. The ideas are endless.
- Tissue Paper (any print/size)
- Glass Vase
- Mod Podge
- Paint Brushes
- Kraft Paper (to cover surface)
- Paint (Optional, I used Martha Stewart multi surface metallic gold and satin vanilla bean)
- Additional items to decorate and/or fill jar such as candy, crystal rocks, candle, ribbon, etc.
Let’s Get Started:
- Rip paper (by hand) into medium size pieces, crumple to create an aged effect, straighten and put them to the side of work space.
- Make sure glass jar is clean and free of dust and debris.
- Start applying Mod Podge in small sections; working quickly to apply paper while overlapping it all over the jar including the bottom. Note: since my glass vase has a decorative rim I ripped smaller pieces up and layered them around the edge.
- Let dry for 30 minutes and repeat with a second layer. Let dry for 30 more minutes.
- This is where you can leave it as is or paint it. I painted mine using Martha Stewart acrylic paints (see materials list for the colors I used).
- After the paint dries, embellish the outside and fill it with whatever your heart desires. My jewels are from a broken Ann Taylor Loft Bracelet.
- Voila, now place it in a very beautiful gift bag and give, give, give.